Weather: Temperature cool at around 62F and quite windy over the last several days. Hopefully this northwest pattern will break soon.
We went down to Alvor for lunch in spite of rain. Eventually the air dried up and I took some pictures.
 |
| Alvor beach looking east. Very cloudy today. |
 |
We ate here for lunch. There are several of these restaurants on the high sand dunes.
|
 |
| This is some of the 'ugly' that is infecting some of the coast. |
 |
| The original fishing village. There is a large inland waterway behind the dunes where the fishing activities and a marina are located. |
 |
| Looking west toward Lagos. Notice the people in the distance. These are huge beaches. |
 |
| Another restaurant. Notice the boardwalk across the dune. Authorities are quite strict about people walking on the dunes as it destroys the vegetation needed to hold the sand. |
 |
On the right is the old village built high above the water. That is where the 'old' town is.
|
2 comments:
Your pics look inviting . I love fishing villages . Makes me want to go to Portugal
Lynda
The beach looks so enticing - I can feel the sand between my toes. How great that the local authority is working to preserve the dunes. I can think of a few local authorities here in Ontario that could take a page out of their playbook. The marina looks full of masts. Are they mainly pleasure craft, or working fishing boats? Probably a question I should know the answer to - are the Portuguese still fishing off the Grand Banks? Because the fish stocks were getting so low I recall severe restrictions were imposed several years ago. Have a cafe for me when you meander through the old town.
Post a Comment