Weather: Sunny, 14C but very windy. Not basking in the sun weather.
I seem to be getting up later every morning but Mary had the coffee going when I stumbled down the stairs. Unfortunately I just had enough milk for one coffee...bahhhh. After an hour of watching Rosemary Church on CNN Mary decided to go for a walk while I managed to shave and look presentable for the grocery store.
Apolonia was our objective this morning. We know Apolonia is more expensive than Intermarche and have a larger selection but the quality doesn't seem any better from what I can see. Apolonia is a Portuguese chain and unlike the other Portuguese chain call Pingo Doce it is higher end as you may note in the pictures below.
Pingo Doce has limited selection and low prices and always locates within a town where those without private transport can access easily. However with 470 stores in Portugal they are the largest chain. The stores we frequent are Intermarche (French), Apolonia (4 stores only in the Algarve) and family run, Aldi (German) and Continente (Portuguese). But I digress, so on with it............
I decided to pick up another bottle of wine and as you can see the wine department in Apolonia is huge. Mary went off and I decided to take a closer look at the various aisles of wines and spirits. Very quickly I noticed that the prices were decidedly higher than I expected. The only 5 euro wine I could find was Apolonia's house brand so I bought a bottle with the expectation that any chain that would put their name on the bottle would ensure it's a decent product. We'll see!
If you are not interested in wines I advise you to go no further.
I took following photos specifically for Rob McGregor so pay attention Rob.
![]() |
As you can see by the wall they are very into wine. |
![]() |
The prices from left to right: 349.95; 549.95; 485.95. Would you like me to bring a bottle back for you? |




1 comment:
Who in the world is buying this wine? Here in Ontario it would be under lock and key at the LCBO. I’m sure it’s my unsophisticated palate combined with an innate frugal attitude that will allow me to pay no more than $25 for a bottle of wine - although I must admit I will always splurge on an Italian Prosecco. I will also admit that I liked the white Port you brought home and shared. LS
Post a Comment