About Us

My photo
Click on picture to see our other blogs

Saturday, July 22, 2023

MG Midget Convertible Top

 I finally worked up the MOJO to start on the Midget top.  Here is a pic putting in the snap studs on the side.  The strap across the back was fairly simple.  Line up the top with the holes; puncture and put screw back in. The studs were a little more difficult because I had to cut the holes by hand.  It worked out fine.

Sunday:  I removed all of the old canvas from the header rail and used lacquer thinner to get the old glue off.  I sanded it down and gave it a coat of black paint.  

The top that Moss provided is quite short so there isn't a lot of material to wrap around the head rail.  So I think I will pass on the glue approach so that I can adjust if required.  Mary and I will have to work together on this to ensure even distribution across the rail and I don't want to stretch it too much as it may shrink over time.  I have to keep in mind that the header rail rubber gasket will take up some of the stretch.

Update:  Oct.  Mike was home and we made adjustments to the top and finally screwed down the vinyl under the header bar.  It isn't perfect but it locks down and the vinyl is being stretched.  I will now wait until warm weather and see if I can pull it a bit further under the header while still being able to close the locks inside.  I also found out that the tabs at the side of front edge should be stretched over the header rail and under the hold now piece.  Should be good in the warm weather.   This has proven to be quite difficult and I believe that the manufacturer of this product should have provided another inch of material to enable a reasonable stretch over the header rail.  





No comments: