About Us

My photo
Click on picture to see our other blogs

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Great Storm of 1913


Our booth featured two computer shows.  One featuring the North Channel cruising grounds and the other showing activities of the club.  In addition we encouraged visitors to try their hand at chart work to deterimine the distance and course from Sarnia to Goderich.  The device you see in the foreground was a practical demonstration of mainsail control.  I built it out of PVC plumbing pipe for the show.  It was very popular.


Very few people in Ontario are aware of the great storm of  November 1913.  The
storm lasted sixteen hours with waves of forty feet.  The result was nineteen large ships sunk and two-hundred and fifty crew drowned.  The storm was the result of a weather bomb consisting of three weather systems colliding at the same time.

As a member of the Goderich Yacht Club, past commodore and current communications person I was asked to set up a booth at the remembrance show in Goderich.  I happened to have the booth (grey wall behind) to act as a backdrop.  Here are a few pictures.


Several members turned out to work the booth.  Along with Mary and I, Mike (very big helpl) and Liz, Rob and Dale, Commodore Paul and Laura, Carl and Jay and Kathy 
Some of us discussing the state of the world during a slow period






This is Dick our marina owner.  He had a booth across from ours promoting his construction and dredging business





No comments: