About Us

My photo
Click on picture to see our other blogs

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

A37 Progress

I normally put my project articles in the WORKSHOP section of this blog, but I thought I would put this update in the main blog.

As some of you know the Alberg 37 is a 37' ocean going sailboat that I purchased as a junker some years ago.  The boat was sailed in the Caribbean by Dick Wilson of Sarnia for years.  After he sold the boat in 1999 it went through a period of very little maintenance during which time it's engine froze during the winter.  I had the boat mover place the boat about 200' from the house near the barn (too big to go in barns) under a temporary shed with a canvas roof.  Details of the work on it are in the workshop section.  

This is a boat that required pretty much everything from complete interior rebuild and repair, new engine, electrical, electronics, windows, ports and much, much more.

This year I painted the deck and coach house after hundreds of hours of work.  For more on that see the workshop section.  The interior is now being reinstalled with a lot of rebuilt and brand new parts that I have made.  I have made some changes in the design of the galley and navigation areas and upgraded almost every other area to make it more compatible with today's tastes. None the less it is still very much a Carl Alberg boat and most Alberg followers should like the moderate changes I have made.  I have avoided things like Corian countertops which look great, but at 50 lbs. and $100 a square foot are not what is important on a sailboat (unless you want to use it as a very heavy cottage at the dock).  



I finished the new woodwork and a proper opening door for the electrical aspect of the boat.  Then I installed a new Blue Seas electrical panel with 24 DC circuits and 8 AC circuits.   Then I did the DC and AC wire runs to various parts of the boat.  Then my buddy Zoran started to work on the main panel.  Z wired GM locomotives for a living, so he added a professional touch.  There are numerous leads to organize and connect with more room for future expansion.  Z bundles the wires as they come from fore and aft.  You can the see the covered (white) cable behind and up top.  These bundles are arranged behind and to the left of the panel so as to fold properly as the door is opened and closed, reducing strain on the wires.  Then the wire is stripped to reveal two or three individual wires which are then connected to the panel.  Each wire has a number (see the tiny white tags on each wire) which corresponds to the device to which it is attached somewhere in the boat.  Note the white metal bars that we welded up to support the wires.   
Z's handiwork.  The layout provides instant access to any wire lead.  Everything is visible to the eye.  Now the mains have to be hooked up (#6 red wire at bottom).  The navigation station has been almost all replaced and updated for electronic navigation and improved wiring.  The purpose of the coils is to allow for repeated renewal of connectors and to relieve any strain on the wire.

The starboard shelves and liquor cabinet are in  Much of it is rebuilt and the three compartments at the bottom are entirely new where just a shelf existed before.  The entire interior is finished in four coats of rubbed effect varnish and all of the horizontal surfaces are covered in the same Formica including the countertops, bunks and cupboards.  The boat had been badly painted inside years ago so all of that had to be stripped.  After dozens of hours of repair the fiberglass liner inside the boat was faired, primed and painted with two part Interlux Perfection cream colour to match the woodwork.  You can see an example above under the cupboard.

I painted the deck with Awlgrip Oyster White back in August.  l'm not entirely satisfied so I will do a bit more fairing and respray in 2014..  The raised non-skid areas had been entirely sanded away before the deck was painted years ago.  I removed all of the paint and reglassed the non-skid to create new raised areas.  A lot of work of dubious value.

No comments: