Hard Drinking Cont'd
It is hard to believe but it has been almost 3 weeks since I last mentioned alcohol. At the time I was saying that the Quinta da Pacheca red I had purchased was not what I thought it should be. Well in spite of that we drank all of it. Shortly after that I indicated that I had a bought some inexpensive white wine (5.95e) at Apolonia that was branded 'Apolonia'. I thought at the time that Apolonia would not put their grocery chain name on a wine unless it was good.
Guess what! It was great and we bought a bottle of red and it was great as well.
Meanwhile I came across some Quinta da Pacheca Tawny port in Apolonia (12.95e). I remember being at the winery in 2020 and was the lucky recipient of some 40 year old Tawny. Believe me you have to taste it to believe how good it is!
So here sits this humble 12.95e Tawny that is probably in its third year max and certainly not vintage.
Guess what! It is very nice and will go nicely with some chocolate or cheese.
Incidentally if you travel in Portugal Quinta da Pacheca is a must stop for two or three days. It overlooks the Douro River at Regua and the experience is one to remember. For those of you who have unlimited funds there is Six Senses about two miles away. The rate is around $1,500 night and I'm sure you can work that up to three or four thousand a night with some hard drinking. Makes a fellow like me feel down-right poor.
![]() |
This Quinta da Pacheca Tawny Port |

No comments:
Post a Comment