About Us

My photo
Click on picture to see our other blogs

Tuesday, March 05, 2024

Monchique Pt. I Journal 38

Beautiful day:  18 C

Monchique is a town high in the mountains that is loved by tourists.  It is located between two mountain ranges and set in such a way that the town itself has dozens of levels.   Between the upper and lower extremes is probably 500'.  The main square is about halfway up.  Today we parked a few blocks from the square with the goal of walking up a very long street to get to a particular restaurant called Charette.  As it turned out we ate at Ochala (tearoom) a few doors away.  



Had good conversation with this lady who spoke excellent english.  She has owned this cafe for many years.

There are lots of very small but interesting stores around the town and it would take pages to describe them.  Most tourists only visit the main square and go home.  They are missing the charm of the place because like most rural towns and villages the back streets are where the Portuguese live.  However!  You have to do the walking and that can be a lot of work.

2020 was the last time we visited the town.  As we were walking back then I noticed a woman decorating the side of her house.  She had outlined a door and two windows on a blank side of the house and that got my attention.  I stopped and inquired and asked her if I could take her picture.  "Yes," she replied and I ended up putting it on Facebook four years ago.  Today it's complete with a gentleman caller at the door as she looks out the window.


Photo from March 2020



March 2024--Not sure why she has painted the front of her house.  


 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Simply charming idea! I love it!! Lil Sis