About Us

My photo
Click on picture to see our other blogs

Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Hard Drinking, Wed., Feb. 14/24, Journal 4

 St. Valentine's Day and cheap wine

So.....after a hard afternoon in the grocery store (I had to push the cart) and given that it is Valentine's Day I thought that I had better own up and buy some wine for the occasion.

All wines sold in Portugal use a cork because Portugal is the home of 
cork production.  

You have to appreciate the sheer amount of wine that is for sale in our rather average supermarket (Intermarche) and ever since our first trip 16 years ago I always look for an initial bargain.  In 2008 I found wine at Intermarche for 1.49 euros.  It's what I call 'euro.49' wine.  So every time we do our first grocery run I check out the booze department for a cheap wine.  Voila!  Struck paydirt!  An Alentejo red for an amazing 'euro.99'.  I can't even make my own for that little.  Good heavens, the bottle cost me almost that much.

Chances are it will be made from Touriga Nacional grapes that are a mainstay of wine production in Portugal.  These low price wines usually come from a co-operative and this one comes from the Redondo co-op.  

Remember, you can always leave comments below.



No comments: