Over the last few years I have made 23 new shutters for the house. Last year Mary and I put 6 of them on the front of the house. Each shutter requires that 6 holes be drilled in either the brick of the mortar and then lags set in to hold the hinge. Looks simple but it's a lot of work.
Earlier in the summer I put 9 more on the lower sides of the house and 2 above the porch on the south side where I had good footing and height. But, the other three windows where impossible to work on without scaffold. So with the good weather in November I rented the scaffold and managed to get them on before the weather turned sour again.
So all of the work over the last few years has paid off.
PS: If anybody wonders why there is an odd number of shutters it is because three of the windows required a folding shutter on one side. In the picture above you see an 18" wide shutter folding into 9" against the porch.

No comments:
Post a Comment