I have been working in the shop on the MGB. I cut out the all of the driver's side frame to just aft of the front end mounting point. I had the replacement piece for the portion under the main floor but the portion that curves forward to the front-end mounting point was rotten.
I took some corn flakes box cardboard and slowly created a mockup. Then I disassembled it and cut the metal piece to shape. Then I MIG welded the metal parts together and put some reinforcing in as well using my new acquired spot welder. That went well. Now the hard part was to weld it to the floor section and the original frame forward.
I definitely made some errors but managed to get a solid frame although I would hardly call it pretty. Using my flap grinder I trimmed off the welding. I think it is strong enough but I would like to do some filling and more grinding to make it cosmetically acceptable.

No comments:
Post a Comment