About Us

My photo
Click on picture to see our other blogs

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

GLEN-L 17 launch

After several winters of restoration and improvements my Glen-L 17 sailboat was launched in June 2013 at Wildwood Lake.  I built this boat in 1968-69 in a temporary shed in my parents backyard and named her Christie after my new found love.   We sailed Christie in the early 70's but building our house with our own two hands took precedence over sailing.  In 1995 we returned to sailing with a 24' boat and three years later traded that for a 30' Alberg.  During that time I worked on the Glen-L in the shop whenever I felt like it.  For me it was a case of coming full circle.  I didn't want to just leave her to junk.  It was a matter of pride to refinish her the best I could with the skills I had acquired over the intervening years.

While we have sailed our Alberg in very heavy weather (30 kt. winds and 8 foot waves) the Glen-L shines in a brisk wind and small waves allowing the master to bring her up to a 30 deg. heel.  Sailing the now aptly renamed Mary Christine is exhilarating to say the least.


The Mary Christine now sports an icebox and a proper head with a legal storage tank for poo.   She wasn't designed for these features, but I worked them in just in case I want to cruise her.  

There are 8 coats of Epihanes varnish and an Awlgripped hull in Jade Green

My friend and fellow sailor Robin took this picture of Zoran and I while backing the boat into
Wildwood Lake.  We had a few issues that I discuss in the Workshop section, but once everything
was fixed the boat sailed beautifully as it did 40+ years ago.   Zoran is my right hand buddy--an extremely good friend.

No comments: